Harlem Capital – 2020 Year in Review
by Harlem Capital
Happy New Year! We hope that you enjoyed the holidays and got some time off. 2020 was challenging on many levels so welcome to 2021, it is no small feat. We wanted to reflect on 2020 – see some highlights below.
- Made 13 new investments, leading 9, and 4 follow-ons in 2020
- Had our first exit, GovPredict was acquired by Phone2Action
- 2020 deal flow was up 2.1x as we saw 1,663 deals
- Our 13 investments span across 8 cities: NYC (3), SF (2), CHI (2), BOS (2), LA, DC, Indianapolis and Salt Lake City
- Representing 7 industries: E-commerce (4), Enterprise Software (3), Wellness (2), HR Tech (1), FinTech (1), RE Tech (1) and AdTech (1)
- 62% of our new investments were in Black or Latino founders
- 38% of our new investments were in female founders
- Plan to make 10–12 investments in 2021, see details on our investment page
- Published 28 blog post, 3 research reports, did 20 interviews and were mentioned in 75+ articles
- Launched our newsletter in January, which passed 3.5k+ subscribers
- Launched our podcast in July, which passed 4.5k+ listens
- Hosted our first MORE EQUITY pitch competition with 650+ attendees
- Rebranded to a new logo and website
- Launched DMC Partnership for $3.0mm of pro bono services to HCP portco’s and diverse startups
- Donated $10k and raised additional $16k for the Harlem Children Zone Covid relief fund
- Saw 3,034 intern applications and hired 18 interns across 3 classes
We are ready to tackle 2021 and support more diverse founders and the ecosystem. Thank you all for your continued support.
To stay up to date on Harlem Capital news, subscribe to our monthly newsletter.
Harlem Capital Team