We had a busy January, but wanted to still update you on 2019 and give some insight to our 2020 plans.
2019 was truly a special year as we officially closed HCP Fund I at $40.3mm. It was an 18 month journey that taught us many lessons and we are excited to be well-positioned to back women and minority entrepreneurs with $500k-$1mm investments. We expanded the team by hiring two Senior Associates, Gabby Cazeau and Kelly Goldstein. They both came through our intern program and we couldn’t be more grateful to have them join the HCP family.
Here are some additional highlights from 2019:
- We made 7 new investments and 2 follow-ons in 2019
- 2019 deal flow was up 2.1x and we had an investment rate of 0.9%
- 51% of our deals were sourced as inbounds from management leading to 43% of our investments coming directly from management. We continue to believe that strong founders are outside of our network
- Our investments span across NYC (2), LA (2), Salt Lake City, Boston and Atlanta. They represent 6 industries: HR Tech (2),Wellness, FinTech, D2C, Healthcare and Logistics
- 43% of our investments were in female founders
- We plan to make 10–12 investments in 2020, see details on our investment criteria page
- Our branding and reach continues to be a funnel for founders, interns and partnerships. Some highlights are linked below:
- Press: WSJ, The Root, TechCrunch
- Awards: Inc. 30 Under 30, Root 100, Business Insider Rising Star
- Partnerships: TPG, KKR and Techstars
- Interviews: Bloomberg, Yahoo Finance, Cheddar, Nasdaq
- We completed 3 intern classes in 2019, receiving 700 applications and hiring 19 interns, 2.7% acceptance rate
- We recently launched our 7th intern class for Winter 2020 and our Summer 2020 application opens March 4th
- We are focused on building a strong diverse investor community as our intern alums are the future investors
2020 Updates & Outlook:
- We have started Harlem Capital’s first public newsletter — please subscribe
- The Harlem CapitalHarvard Business School cases Part A and Part B are now available
- As of January 2020, our Venture Partner John Henry is no longer with the firm. We thank him for all of his contributions and wish him much gratitude and success
- Harlem Capital’s first “More Equity” Pitch Competition will be held in Harlem on April 22nd
- We will be releasing more content and hosting more events in 2020
We are excited and focused more than ever. Thank you all for your continued support.
To stay up to date on Harlem Capital news, subscribe to our monthly newsletter.
Harlem Capital Team